There are 7 employee groups on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.

Fellowships and training grant stipends are viewed as awards. Because no service to the University is required, fellowship and stipend recipients are NOT considered employees.

Faculty (940x)

Regular faculty (tenured and tenure-track) are engaged in teaching, research, and community outreach. Contract faculty engaged in teaching or research for a specified period of time.

P&A: Professional & Administrative (9xxx)

The academic professional and administrative (P&A) employee group includes multiple sub-groups of employees. This also includes adjunct Teaching Specialists (9754) & Lecturers (9753), and Post Doctoral employees.

  • Academic Professionals: Academic professionals parallel faculty in having essential preparation and specialized knowledge in an academic discipline or field and in exercising independent professional judgment. These individuals may be engaged in teaching, research, service, and a wide variety of other professional functions within the University.
  • Academic Administrative: Academic administrative positions are involved in administration, policy development, execution, and supervising activities of the University.
  • Professionals-in-Training. Professionals-in-training are involved in teaching and research. They hold internships, residencies, or are otherwise involved in further training in a disciplinary field. The most common professionals-in-training in CEHD are Postdoctoral Associates.

Civil Service (7xxx, 8xxx)

Civil service employees perform work that supports academic and administrative functions. The work includes business operations, information technology, student services, service/maintenance, purchasing and accounting.

Labor Represented/ Bargaining Unit (1xxx, 4xxx, 6xxx)

LR and BU groups are University staff that have exclusive representation under law and are statutorily governed by a union group. At the University, these groups include AFSCME Clerical, AFSCME Technical, and Teamsters.

Temp/Casual (0001, 0007)

Temporary or Casual non-academic appointments that are either (1) short-term, 67 workdays or less (temporary) in a calendar year or (2) characterized by schedules that are variable, intermittent, on-call and consistently 14 hours a week or less (casual).

These positions may be given to current employees, students from other institutions or applicants from outside the University. These appointments MAY NOT be given to non-student employees and graduate students working in union-represented positions as these individuals must be appointed in the appropriate bargaining unit classification (job code) and are required to pay union dues or fair share fees.

Graduate Assistants (95xx)

Graduate assistants are student workers registered in a graduate or post-baccalaureate professional degree program at the University and employed in a position covered under this employee group. Graduate assistants may be engaged in teaching, research, or administrative functions under the direct supervision of faculty or staff.

Undergraduate Student Workers (2xxx)

Undergraduate student workers are students who are registered for classes and hold employment in administrative, technical, research and and undergraduate teaching positions. These positions are a form of financial support while students pursue their education.

Classification Resources

Governing Contracts & Policies



Administrative Interpretations

Civil Service Employees: